Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Poet Mode - TOMORROW

I am really shy about sharing my writings. But this is a blog, so what the hell!

Tomorrow - composed 6/6/05

I saw a movie about emotional, societal starvation
Set in a city rout with maniacal, ironic devastation
I closed my eyes to shield my soul from the impending invasion
But I fell victim to the plot, was hypnotized by second hand persuasion

I turned away and tried to run from visions so hardcore
I couldn’t move, I was trapped like I had never been before
My heart was thumping, mind was racing, Newport burned down to the core
My fear subsiding, but courage hiding, burning flames rising from the floor

Is this hell, have I been beamed into a nightmare all too real
I cry for help, holler in vain at blank faces so concealed
No one responds or lifts a finger and despair is all I feel
My legs are weak, suddenly I fall and come crashing to a kneel

I drop my head, and lift my hands heavily up to my eyes
My head is heavy, vision blurry, I blink but can not cry
I am cut but do not bleed, I realize I am bone dry
There’s nothing left after spent years of struggling to get by

I’ve cried a river, mourned a lake, paced around the world and back
There was no boat or powered vehicle to help out with the trek
There was no partner or helping hand offering to take up the slack
I traveled solo and used the earth to provide whatever I may have lacked

I’ve washed my face with poisoned water, scrubbed my body with a branch
I’ve eaten scraps of nuts and berries and have survived an avalanche
I healed my wounds with bark and herb growing from a green aromatic patch
I’ve trenched through acid rain and storm drains and habitual circumstance

I lift my head and realize that all this time I had been sleeping
My pillow’s wet, my collar’s drenched from 4 hours of non-stop weeping
I lift my head and pinch myself to make sure I am not still dreaming
I get up to face another day of ghetto life but still believing.

I believe a time will come when our babies are not so often mourned
When our lamp posts and stoops are not teddy bear and RIP adorned
When we can party and not be innocent bystanders of hood pride scorned
When our faces aren’t plastered all over the news, a new day has been born.

let us all declare that day tomorrow!

No comments: